Rules & Policies
Bluegrass Youth Ballet has rules and policies with the primary objective for students to learn in a positive environment for all youth through high quality training, innovative performances, and cultural experiences.
Rules for the Dancers and Their Parents:
- Present your best behavior and manners at all times. Be an example for younger dancers.
- Clean up after yourself! BYB is your place. Help us to keep it neat even if you didn’t mess it up.
- No food, gum or sweetened drinks are allowed in the studios.
- Boys and girls must wear the required BYB uniform. Remove all shorts, shirts and legwarmers before class. Ballet skirts are allowed only for variations class.
- Students in Pre-Professional division are allowed to wear any solid color leotard on Saturday.
- Students must remove their shoes, and roll their tights up for modern class. They may wear their hair in a ponytail. Shorts and colored leotards are allowed for modern class.
- All girls must wear their hair up in a bun for ballet class. No excuses!
- Avoid wearing jewelry for class such as necklaces, bracelets, ankle bracelets and watches.
- Write your name in all your belongings especially shoes and water bottles.
- No running or screaming in the halls. Please be respectful of the learning environment.
- If you must be absent, you or your parent must call and notify us.
- If you are cast in a performance, you must compromise to attend all of the scheduled rehearsals. If you MUST miss rehearsals please call ahead of time. Please notify the instructor and director about all your conflicts PRIOR to accepting the role. If you miss more than two rehearsals in a row, you may be removed from the show. If you miss a rehearsal you are responsible for learning the choreography on your own from another fellow dancer before attending next rehearsal.
- Teachers will help students become a better dancer by giving you corrections during class. If you are corrected in class, it is a privilege and you must do your best to apply it immediately. The same applies if another student receives a correction; these corrections are to be applied by everyone in the class. Teachers give you corrections to make you aware of an issue that must be fixed; not to pick on you or make you feel uncomfortable. Part of learning to dance is to learn what are our strengths and our weaknesses.
- You must take good care of your body. Your body is your instrument for dancing. Make sure you sleep plenty, eat good, nutritious foods and drink lots of water. Try to avoid injuries at all cost.
- Arrive early to class (10-15 min) so you can start on time and feel prepared. If you see an empty studio, feel free to use it to stretch or practice. If you MUST arrive late, please wait by the door until the instructor allows you to join the class and quietly warm yourself up.
- Never leave the room in the middle of class without permission.
- When you enroll at BYB you are agreeing to attend all classes and rehearsals scheduled for you.
- BYB has a no-tolerance policy for bullying. This includes making comments or making fun of a fellow dancer. You may be dismissed from BYB if you are found guilty of bullying. Please notify a teacher immediately if you are being bullied or you know of someone being bullied. No gossiping allowed.
- Please be respectful of BYB wardrobe staff and volunteers. Respect the costumes you get to wear. Keep negative comments to yourself.
- Don’t wear your ballet shoes outside of BYB unless you are on a dance floor.
- Be courteous and respectful of teachers and others.
Rules for the Parents:
- Please bring and pick up your children on time or notify us if you have a conflict.
- Students that must be absent for a class may make up this class either in another class of the same level if available or the level below yours pending the instructor or director’s approval.
- Please make your payments on time! BYB doesn’t send out invoices. However, a late fee of $1 per day will be added to your account after the due date. Please review the payment schedule chart.
- All students’ accounts must be current in order for them to participate in performances. Performances are optional. In order to participate the mandatory performance fee per dancer, per role is $25 plus $10 for each additional role.
- Returned checks will incur a $30 fee.
- Siblings are welcome at BYB. However all children must be supervised by an adult even if they are in the playroom. Please help us pick up after they play.
- BYB has a lost and found box near the lockers. Please check it periodically. We will donate lost items not claimed at the end of the semester.
- Refrain from bringing pets to BYB.
- Refrain from making negative comments about dancers or parents . No gossiping allowed. Set an example for the children!
- The Artistic Staff has final word on casting, evaluating levels, rehearsals and performances . Please be respectful of their decisions.
- When you enroll your children at BYB, you agree to commit to either a session (Baby Ballet & Pre-Ballet) or a full semester (Pre-ballet – Adults). If you must withdraw, please give us a written 30 day notice. It is understood that BYB doesn’t do refunds or deductions for any reason except cases of documented serious illness or injury.
- An annual registration fee of $25, plus an additional $10 per family member must be paid by everyone, including those in Work Study or Scholarships. Younger siblings get a 15% discount.
- BYB communicates with you via e-mail . It is your responsibility to give us a current email address and to check it with regularity, especially around performance times.
- You and your children are welcome to use the kitchen . However please wash what you use and clean up after yourself.
- If you have any questions or comments, BYB staff would love to hear them. You can either email us or schedule a conference. If you must talk to us, please choose a time other then when the instructor is about to start class. Thank you for your consideration.
Questions? 859.271.4472 or www.bluegrassyouthballet.org
- Director & Founder – Adalhi Aranda Corn: Adalhi@bluegrassyouthballet.org
- Administrative Director – Lee Erik Eachus: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enrollment Director – Abbie Whitman: Abbie@bluegrassyouthballet.org
- Boutique Manager – Jennifer Morgan: email@example.com
- Wardrobe & Costume Mistress – Cindi McKay: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Board President – Lisa Blackadar: email@example.com