Rules and PoliciesOverview
Bluegrass Youth Ballet creates and upholds rules and policies with the primary objective for students to learn in a positive environment. We provide a foundation of high-quality training, innovative performances, and cultural experiences to assist in the learning experience. Our policies for the families help provide a safe and supportive space for students as well.
- Present your best behavior and manners at all times.
- Clean up after yourself. BYB is a community space. Help us to keep it neat.
- No food, gum, or sweetened drinks are allowed in the studios.
- Please take good care of your body, as it is your instrument for dancing. Make sure you sleep plenty, eat healthy, nutritious foods and drink lots of water. Try to avoid injuries at all costs.
- When you enroll at BYB you are agreeing to attend all classes and rehearsals scheduled for you.
- BYB has a no-tolerance policy for bullying. This includes making comments or making fun of a fellow dancer. You may be dismissed from BYB if you are found guilty of bullying. Please notify a teacher immediately if you are being bullied or you know of someone being bullied. No gossiping allowed.
- Boys and girls must wear the required BYB uniform. Remove all shorts, shirts, and legwarmers before class. Ballet skirts are allowed only for class variations.
- Students in the Pre-Professional and Advanced divisions are allowed to wear any solid color leotard on Saturday.
- Students attending Summer Intensives must wear either a BYB uniform for their level or a black leotard Monday through Thursday. Fridays students are able to wear a solid color leotard of their choice if they would like.
- Students attending Summer classes who are unable to attend the following fall semester may wear a pink non-logo leotard for Creative Movement and Pre-Ballet. All other levels may wear a black leotard. Current BYB students must wear their uniforms.
- Fall and Spring Sessions are required to wear the BYB Logo Uniform.
- Creative Movement and Pre-Ballet: Pink uniform
- Elementary Levels: Royal Blue Uniform
- Intermediate Levels: Burgundy Uniform
- Boys in Primary through Intermediate Levels: Black shorts or tights with the white uniform shirt
- Advanced: Black uniform
- Pre-Professional: Teal uniform
- Boys in Advanced and Pre-Professional: Black shorts/tights with the black uniform shirt
- Students must remove their shoes, and roll their tights up for modern class. They may wear their hair in a ponytail. Shorts and colored leotards are allowed for modern classes.
- All girls must wear their hair up in a bun for ballet class. Please ask a staff member for suggestions or tips on hair.
- Avoid wearing jewelry for classes such as necklaces, bracelets, ankle bracelets, and watches.
- Write your name on all your belongings, especially your shoes and water bottles.
- Don’t wear your ballet shoes outside of BYB unless you are on a dance floor.
Studio and ClassEtiquette
- No running or screaming in the halls. Please be respectful of the learning environment. Do not touch windows or mirrors, please.
- If you must be absent, you or your parents must call and notify us.
- Teachers will help students become better dancers by giving corrections during class. If you are corrected in class, you must do your best to apply it immediately. The same applies if another student receives a correction; these corrections are to be applied by everyone in the class. Teachers give you corrections to make you aware of an issue that must be fixed; not to pick on you or make you feel uncomfortable. Part of learning to dance is to learn what are our strengths and our weaknesses.
- Arrive early to class (10-15 min) so you can start on time and feel prepared. If you see an empty studio, feel free to use it to stretch or practice. If you MUST arrive late, please wait by the door until the instructor allows you to join the class and quietly warm yourself up.
- Never leave the room in the middle of class without permission.
- Be courteous and respectful of teachers and others.
- If you are cast in a performance, you must compromise to attend all of the scheduled rehearsals. If you MUST miss rehearsals please call ahead of time. Please notify the instructor and director about all your conflicts PRIOR to accepting the role. If you miss more than two rehearsals in a row, you may be removed from the show. If you miss a rehearsal you are responsible for learning the choreography on your own from another fellow dancer before attending the next rehearsal.
- Please be respectful of BYB wardrobe staff and volunteers. Respect the costumes you get to wear. Keep negative comments to yourself.
- Please bring and pick up your children on time or notify us if you have a conflict.
- Students that must be absent for a class may make up this class either in another class of the same level if available or the level below yours pending the instructor or director’s approval.
- All students’ accounts must be current in order for them to participate in performances. Performances are optional. In order to participate the mandatory performance fee per dancer.
- Siblings are welcome at BYB. However, all children must be supervised by an adult at all times. Please help us pick up after they play.
- BYB has a lost and found box in the kitchen. Please check it periodically. We will donate lost items not claimed at the end of the semester.
- Refrain from bringing pets to BYB.
- Refrain from making negative comments about dancers or parents. No gossiping allowed. Set a good example for the children.
- The Artistic Staff has the final word on casting, evaluating levels, rehearsals, and performances. Please be respectful of their decisions.
- BYB faculty has final word on which level each student is placed regardless of age or where they have danced before. Please understand that there is no reason to try to put children in higher levels that are not developmentally appropriate for them. BYB uses its own syllabus and it’s best not to skip any levels. We do not place students by age, but mostly by readiness, maturity and ability.
- When you enroll your children at BYB, you agree to commit to a full semester (Creative Movement – Pre-Professional). If you must withdraw, please give us a written 30-day notice. It is understood that BYB doesn’t do refunds or deductions for any reason except cases of documented serious illness or injury.
- BYB communicates with you via email. It is your responsibility to give us a current email address and to check it with regularity, especially around performance times.
- You and your children are welcome to use the kitchen. However please wash what you use and clean up after yourself.
- If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact the BYB staff below. You can either email us or schedule a conference.